8/20/10: Di & Rich

Perfect Summer day in NYC for a Central Park wedding! Di & Rich live in the UK, and contacted me in April to arrange their 3rd anniversary vow renewal in New York City. They love to travel here, and chose Hernshead Ladies Pavilion on the West Side of the park for their ceremony. I arrived early, and saw a fancy English military ceremony wedding party having photos taken, and then another smaller wedding party--two friendly Aussies, their attendants, and their photographer, my friend Michael Skoglund! Here's Annie & Michael in the park! I've been corresponding with Di & Rich for months now, we've exchanged pictures, wedding ideas, and weather reports (!) They arrived with big smiles and warm greetings. Di wore a beautiful pale peach dress, with a gorgeous "fascinator" hair accessory as many of my English brides do. She carried yellow roses, and had her makeup done at MAC in the morning and looked stunning! Niece Charlotte and friends AnnMarie & Drew and Helen & Dawn all took photos. In addition to traditional vows, Di & Rich wrote their own vows and made each other cry! It was very moving to witness their sincere love for each other. They exchanged rings once again, and they chose this reading to celebrate the renewal of their vows: True Love (Author Unkown) True love is a sacred flame That burns eternally, And none can dim its special glow Or change its destiny. True love speaks in tender tones And hears with gentle ear, True love gives with open heart And true love conquers fear. True love makes no harsh demands It neither rules nor binds, And true love holds with gentle hands The hearts that it entwines. I'm an Anglophile in every way--both my grandmothers were English, I did my college junior year abroad at Crewe + Alsager College and I love everything British from rainy days to Doctor Who :) Di was so sweet to bring me a present from home--a gorgeous china teacup & saucer, and "proper" English Tea from Tesco's! I'm so touched by her thoughtfulness! At Di's request, I made a souvenir wedding certificate to commemorate the day, and after the ceremony, all the witnesses signed it. We walked together through the park as far as 72nd Street (near John Lennon's IMAGINE in Strawberry Fields), where I said goodbye and left them to enjoy their evening together. Best wishes to Rich & Di--who want to renew their vows AGAIN next time they visit! (How romantic!) With love, Rev. Annie NYC